Bioprocess Scientist (Cell / Gene Therapy)
Background: Esco Aster, CDMO arm of Esco VacciXcell, is looking for a scientist to be part of our process development / application / tech scouting team leveraging our proprietary bioprocessing platform that runs on Tide Motion.
Cell lines for cell therapy that will be working with are primarily mesenchymal / adiposed derived stem cells and derived secretions including exosomes, for autologous and allogeneic therapy, as well as other adherent stem cell lines.
Cell lines for gene therapy will involve Hek 293 / 293 T cell lines for production of Viral Vectors (AAV, LV, SIV).
The Opportunity: The scientist will use his/her skills in research and process development, and be part of an enthusiastic entrepreneurial community at Esco Ventures Labs. This position has been designed for the individual to benefit from the resources available, conduct process development of Cell / Gene Therapy products, as well as being exposed a fast-paced and exciting atmosphere. The position will allow for the individual to acquire lateral / domain expertise and grow with the company.
The Scope: The scientist will perform research and process development activities in collaboration with other stakeholders (academics, corporate partners, contract research organizations, customers) relating to cell / gene therapy process development. He/she will also be responsible for technology scouting and evaluation of technologies, negotiation of in-licensing and collaboration agreements.
Job Responsibilities: The Scientist will be able to work independently and work on problems of diverse scope requiring analysis of data and evaluation of identifiable factors. He/she will develop expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts, provide detailed data, results, analyses, and summary reports to management, and recommend paths forward based on analysis. He/she demonstrate technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and independent thought.
The scientist will know and follow all laws and policies that apply to one's job, and maintain the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and compliance at all times.
Must have technical skills:
- PhD in Biology, Virology, Life Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, BioEngineering or related discipline, and a minimum of 2 years of experience in process development; OR an MS in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering , BioProcessing, Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline, and a minimum of 6 years of experience in process development
- Experience with mesenchymal/adipose derived stem cells and Hek 293/293 T cell culture including QC of pooled samples for allogeneic (The tests include the following elements: 1) markers; 2) secretions; 3) biological efficacy tests; 4) tests of efficacy in animal model; 5)consistency in parameters of the production process; 6) freezing and thawing consistency of cells; 7) stability of the cells after thawing.
- Experience in cell & gene therapy bioprocess development
- Experience developing pharmaceutical or bio analytical methods
- Experience authoring scientific publications is required as writing of white papers is required.
- Experience conducting biology-related research is required. You should be capable to independently and efficiently plan and perform experiments in an interdisciplinary environment.
Ability to write scientific publications and present data at national and international conferences.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Power Point, Word, Excel, and standard experimental analysis software such as DOE (Design of Experiment) and LIMS (Laboratory information management software)s, GLP (Good Laboratory practices) as part of contract clinical development.
Must have soft skills:
- Team player.
- Ability to work in a fast paced start-up environment.
- Details oriented, committed, accountable, positive and make it happen attitude.
- Presentation skills.
- Project management and reporting.
- Ability to work on their own.
- Preferred Technical Skills:
- Familiarity with cell culture and scaling up.
- Experience in authoring scientific grants is preferred
- Knowledge of FDA Regulations / eu CGMP ATMP Directive and Guidelines preferred.
- Knowledge of FDA Medical Device Regulations and Guidelines preferred.
Interested candidates, please submit a Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com.