News Release VacciXcell

News


 

Bangkok: A Rabies Red Zone

 

Jul 27, 2018

 

 

Since March 2018, Thailand has been trying to contain rabies outbreak by conducting vaccinations for 10 million cats and dogs around the country. According to the Department if Livestock Development (DLD) there have been 400 confirmed rabies cases with a total of 37 Thailand provinces that were declared temporary rabies epidemic zones. Due to this, people brought in pets to be vaccinated; as such, vaccines are now running low.

Rabies is a disease caused by a rabies virus of the genus Lyssavirus. It is most often transmitted from a bite of a rabid animal. The virus replicates inside the host animal and is retained in its salivary glands. Although dogs are commonly known to transmit rabies; skunks, bats, racoons, and foxes are among the animals that are reported to transmit majority of rabies cases. It is endemic on all continents except Antartica. The disease expresses itself in two forms. 70% of the infected population experience the Furious Rabies which causes extreme aggression and this later results to death by cardiorespiratory arrest. Paralytic Rabies happens to the remaining 30% of the infected population. This form of rabies is like a silent killer progressing over time and as it does, the victim's muscle gradually paralyze, compromising the brain and leads to fatal heart arrhythmia.

The rabies vaccine is made from weakened rabies virus. Once injected, the weakened virus will stimulate immune response, thus, providing immunity to the host. To make the vaccine, huge amount of rabies virus must be cultured and processed. Rabies virus are commonly proliferated by using BHK-21 or Vero cell lines as host cells.

 

 

VacciXcell Tide Motion Bioreactors is a perfect platform that uses Tide Motion principle, the gentle vertical oscillation of culture medium and air provides cells an environment that is low shear stress to avoid cell damage or cell death. BHK-21 and Vero cell cultures require high aeration and nutrition levels to reproduce and perform effectively. This efficient nutrient and oxygen transfer is what allows the tide motion system to produce high-density cell yield.

It is essential that the process in vaccine production is linearly scalable due to the demand for immunization. We can conclude that this cell culture technology is reliable when it comes to in this time of outbreak We can conclude that it is really promising that this cell culture technology is reliable when it comes to elimination of different kinds of egg adaptations that occur in egg-based vaccines.

 

References:

  1. Adam Health Illustrated Encyclopedia. (12, November 2017). Last accessed 18, July 2018 from http://www.healthline.com/channel/rabies_causes.
  2. Channel News Asia. (15, March 2018). Thailand ramps up rabies vaccination to contain deadly outbreak. Last accessed 19, July 2018 from https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-rabies-outbreak-vaccination-stepped-up-10046140
  3. The Nation Thailand Portal. (14, March 2018). Rabies outbreak “under control” despite spike in infections this year. Last accessed 19, July 2018 from http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30340847

 

EscoVacciXcell
21 Changi South Street 1
Singapore 486777
T: +65 6542 0833
E: mail@vaccixcell.com

 

About Rabies

Rabies is a disease caused by a rabies virus of the genus Lyssavirus. It is most often transmitted from a bite of a rabid animal. The virus replicates inside the host animal and is retained in its salivary glands.

Reference: http://www.austincc.edu/microbio/2993q/rv.htm

About Tide Motion Bioreactors

Tide Motion pertains to the gentle oscillation of culture medium into and out of the matrix vessel that intermittently exposes the cells to aeration and nutrition. The upward oscillation exposes the cells to nutrition, while the downward oscillation exposes the cells to aeration. At the same time, this process washes away products and wastes. This oscillation produces no air bubbles and low shear stress. View a range of products at http://www.vaccixcell.com/tide-technology/

About Esco VacciXcell

Esco VacciXcell is the bioprocessing division of Esco Group of Companies that specializes in the marketing and manufacturing of bioprocessing equipment for cell culture.

Esco VacciXcell provides turnkey manufacturing solutions using its proprietary Tide Motion™ Technology to help developing nations to be self-sufficient in the manufacturing, storing, distribution, and administration of vaccines and other biologics, thus providing a complete solution from Discovery to Delivery. For more information on VacciXcell, please visit www.vaccixcell.com.